Monday 19 October 2015

A contribution by Cecilia the grand-daugther of John Paige Bates

This week I am sharing this wonderful post by Cecilia o'Kelly 
Cecilia lives in Durban and as mentioned she is a Grand-daughter of John Paige Bates 
We knew him as Oom Jannie 
She is the daughter of James and Johanna Barlow 
The sister of Andrew, Joan, Brenda, Audrey and Barbara.
Cecilia was born on 26 June 1936
This is her contribution

 As I was told, my Grandfather (John Paige -Bates- Jannie)  was an ostrich farmer and doing pretty well until the ostrich feather market failed when Napoleon divorced Josephine who made ostrich feathers the in thing in Paris.

Jannie and the family of JG Strydom were neighbours but, unlike Jannie,  
Strydom did not put all his eggs in one basket.   
Jannie was obviously pauperized by the crash.   

When Eddie's father was born "Ouma Barlow"  never recovered and 
died when Kerneels was an infant.  
My Dad was sixteen years old at the time and was a student at a Technical College 
(I think Uitenhage) to become a carpenter.  
(This is my comment - He was born in 1902 and this must have happened 1918 during the second ostrich feathers boom) 

At his mother's death Jannie pulled my father him out to help with the household.
At what time Jannie became involved with the woman who wrecked those children I don't know.  However,  Jannie married this woman, moved in with her on her farm and Jannie left his children the oldest 16 yrs old to fend for themselves.  
The story goes that the boys had to run the farm and when they harvested the crops, Jannie would arrive to collect everything taking it to his new home, leaving the children almost starving.  

My Dad had a bellyful of this and one day he simply packed up and left.   
I don't think the rest of the family ever fully forgave him for deserting them.  

He fetched Aunt Sue and Uncle Kerneels later on to live with him and my mother.  

I remember as a child when we lived in Wartburg,  every Christmas many of the uncles and aunts would gather in our home for a time.. 
I think it was my Dad's way of bringing the family together and hoping for forgiveness. 
He suffered a terrible guilt complex.  
Usually, ostensibly over political disagreements but, as an adult, now, I realize it was more than likely festering hurts not addressed.  
John Paige Bates and Maria Adriana
Standing in front of John is James Charles
In front is Andries (Mary, Percy and Johnny's father)
On Grand-mothers lap is John the father of JP, Thomas, Denise and Jeanette
Notice that both Andries and John are dressed in dresses
as was the custom in those days.
Boys in dresses until the age when they were "britched" (put into trousers)
Believe that the photo was taken at the time of my Dad's britching
about 4 years old. 
 Once again thank you Cecilia for your wonderful contribution 

Till next time 
Sandra 

No comments:

Post a Comment